The Bridge Crew is a subset of our Crew who live our lives in accordance with the principles of The Federation of Egalitarian Communities. This means we:
- Hold our land, labor, income and other resources in common.
- Assume responsibility for the needs of our members, receiving the products of their labor and distributing these and all other goods equally, or according to need.
- Practice non-violence.
- Use a form of decision making in which members have an equal opportunity to participate, either through consensus, direct vote, or right of appeal or overrule.
- Actively work to establish the equality of all people and does not permit discrimination on the basis of race, class, creed, ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Act to conserve natural resources for present and future generations while striving to continually improve ecological awareness and practice.
- Create processes for group communication and participation and provides an environment which supports people's development.
From a practical standpoint, this means that instead of paying rent, members of the Bridge Crew co-own the land and each commit to working 49 hours per week on a combination of income generating and domestic labor. All income is turned over to the group, and in return, the group is responsible for providing for all needs of its members. This includes all food, healthcare, housing, clothing, hygiene and sexual safety supplies, a retirement plan, an ownership stake in the community's assets, access to transportation, cell phone service, and a small monthly stipend to be spent on personal expenses that are not otherwise covered by the group (think beer/restaurant money).
Joining the Bridge Crew depends on bedroom spaces being available, being accepted as a resident by the entire Crew, completing an application which is available upon request, and being accepted to the Bridge Crew by the entire Bridge Crew. We post openings on our Joining the Crew page.